Wednesday, June 22, 2011

From Plant to Plate ~ A Yummy Eggplant Recipe

When selecting which plants to grow in my garden I was limited due to the season.  I prefer to eat broccoli and green beans, but it was too hot for them.  I knew that I'd have to try things I don't usually buy.  Yes, I eat squash and eggplant, but when it's prepared by someone else.  With that said, I had never eaten an eggplant that wasn't fried and smothered in cheese and sauce.  However, now that my garden was in plentiful supply off eggplant, I needed a good recipe!  

I asked lots of people and looked online, but was regularly referred back to good 'ol Eggplant Parmesan.  I didn't want to make a meal of it, I just wanted a good side dish.  Then, my friend said to cut an eggplant in half, put olive oil on it and then bake it.  So, I did.  Sad to say, but.... I didn't like it.  I couldn't throw the vegetable away so I decided to cover it and place what was left in the fridge.  
A couple days went by and my vegetarian cousin came over.  She reheated the cooked eggplant and tasted it.  She liked it, but put a little seasoning on it.  I tasted her recreation and liked it.  :)

So, since then I've modified the basic recipe and created something very tasty and easy to make.  I've enjoyed making and eating this dish multiple times over the past couple of days. Enjoy!
   

Baked Eggplant
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
Cut the Eggplant in half lengthwise.
Place in any oven safe container cut side up.

Completely cover the cut side of the eggplant with Extra Virgin Olive Oil.  The eggplant will start to soak up the oil, as seen by the bottom eggplant in the photo below.

Sprinkle the following seasonings onto the eggplant:  Salt, Pepper, Oregano, Parsley, Rosemary, Garlic Powder and Basil.
Begin baking for 30 minutes.
About every ten minutes add a good amount of olive oil to the cut side of the eggplant.
After 30 minutes or so, depending on your oven, check to see if the eggplant is soft.  Then remove from the oven.
Once the eggplant is tender enough for you, plate it and enjoy!
I like to add a little bit of grated parmesan and ramano cheese.

For those of you who are new to eggplant like I was, you can eat the skin and all! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment