Monday, May 30, 2011

My Newest Gardening Adventure

Growing up my father always had a garden!  It was the size of my bedroom and the plants were always blooming.  With this said, it was simply natural that one day I’d have a garden too. 
I started one back in 2007.  It was relatively small, two long skinny beds about 32 square feet.  The garden was a success, we were enjoying broccoli, beans and tons of tomatoes.  But then one day I went to check on my garden and found the neighbor’s sprinklers were spraying them with reclaimed water.  Now, many people I talk to insist that it’s not harmful to eat a veggie that’s been watered with this treated water.  But, I’d rather not take a chance with all the chemicals it took to clean what was in the water originally.  So, needless to say, my husband and I demolished that garden.
It wasn’t until the spring of this year that my friend got me motivated again!!!  :)  I started my garden in a small area under my kitchen window in the back yard. Here I knew the reclaimed water wasn’t near my vegetables.  I planted green beans, spinach, cucumbers, tomatoes and green peppers.  For a little while they all looked beautiful.  I had plants growing, but a few weeks went by and it seemed like the plants weren’t getting any bigger.  They weren’t getting enough sun! 
At first my husband wasn’t sure about creating a new large garden, but he gave me the benefit of the doubt and jumped into the gardening game with me!!  First he disconnected the sprinkler system from my garden area, put up a fence to keep the dogs out, built two gardens, picked up free dirt from the city, and helped me with the soil, peat and manure mixture.  Without him… well, let’s not even imagine!!!  :)
Here are garden photo’s from May 10th!  It’s the start of a beautiful thing! :)
052 Eggplant, 2 Cucumber plants, 3 Tomatoes, 2 Bell Peppers, 5 Sweet Potatoes
053 Crookneck Squash, Zucchini, Watermelon, Cantaloupe

No comments:

Post a Comment